Thursday, October 16, 2008

Warm Market? Really?

When I joined my very first network marketing company I was 22 and was called a "firecracker" by my upline. I did what I was told and in the first month had over 10 new distributor sites in my downline. Then panic set in..."What on earth am I doing? I don't know how to lead these people! What's my name again?"

I realized that not only did I have no clue what I was doing, but neither did the people that I sponsored; those people that were looking to me for some leadership, to hold their hand and lead them to success.

Now I know that there is always a learning curve in any new business but that's not what I mean. It takes more than just knowing your comp plan, how to structure your downline and the ins and outs of your product to be a leader.

What exactly does it take?

One thing I have learned in the search for the answer to this question is that it doesn't start with your warm market. Unless your friends and family are all entrepreneurs - better yet, network marketers - they are likely going to be more trouble than their worth, even if you do sponsor them in your business. Not on purpose of course but consider that they will first need to get over the idea that they are joining a "pyramid scheme", then accept the concept of a compensation plan vs a paycheck, and the general notion that they will only get paid based on the amount of effort they put forth. Basically, they have to get rid of their "employee mindset".

So my question is, why do our companies and our uplines tell us to go out and recruit people who won't make our business successful? I know that the guys at the top of my business certainly didn't get their by doing it this way...Well let me go back, they probably did talk to their warm market who is made up of all NETWORK MARKETERS.

The point is that most network marketing companies don't train you to reach your target market. If I am in the network marketing business and I want to be successful, I'd better recruit the recruiters - other network marketers. When I first learned this concept, I was blown away because it seems so simple and so common sense, I couldn't believe that I didn't just figure it out. The truth is, I was so busy just doing what I was told through the company training that I didn't really bother to think for myself. It was almost by accident that I discovered The Ultimate Success CD's which is a training program that goes over this subject in much more detail.

I have since learned much more about this and other ways to build my business. Blogging is just the newest study.

No comments: